Kandalama Hotel, through the management of Aitken Spence Hotel Managements PVT Ltd, is one of the most active Green Globe members. The five star resort is sited on the fringe of a 200 hectare forest and overlooks the Kandalama Wewa, a man-made reservoir within the cultural triangle of Sri Lanka.
The Hotel is committed to the Agenda 21 concept of sustainable tourism and has implemented programmes to raise the level of awareness of environmental and social quality amongst staff and to integrate the concept of sustainable tourism into action. The Hotel will achieve its goals through partnership with organisations such as Green Globe, the Ceylon Tourist Board, Central Environmental Authority and Department of Wildlife Conservation.
One of the most recent developments at the hotel has been the 'Eco Park' to put the concept of sustainable tourism into practice. The park is built on five acres of land and includes:
- Bee hives which act as a model for the local villages to get involved with this cottage industry. The honey is extracted with the guests' participation and used in the hotel kitchens
- Plant nursery which is used for the reforestation of the local neighbourhood and also for free distribution of plants to hotel guests and nature clubs of neighbouring schools and villages
- Debris Sorting Out Centre where all dry garbage is recycled and re-used
- Playground and pavilion/lecture room which has displays of the flora and fauna of Sri Lanka
- The ground adjacent to the playground is jungle with wildboar and jungle fowl. A bird watching trail and set feeding times for birds help educate guests about native species
- A sustainable development library
Further information: www.xasia.lk/kandalama