The Destinations Process
Each Destination is different and each process is tailored to suit the Destination's individual requirements. Some Destinations have a vision and need assistance with achieving it. Others want to improve environmental performance but don't know how to start. Others still have very specific project needs. Green Globe is able to provide a menu of assistance. A Destination 'menu' is shown below. Destinations can include all options or mix and match:
- visioning - A realistic vision of the environmental future of a Destination is made with particular emphasis on tourism related activities
- strategic environment assessment - In partnership with both public and private sector representatives, Green Globe undertakes a Strategic Environmental Assessment to evaluate the current level of performance. Results will normally include:
- Catalogue and document positive and negative environmental impacts currently affecting the Destination
- Identify critical environmental performance gaps which exist between the current state of the Destination and its environmental vision for the future
- Identify opportunities for remedy action through both public and private initiatives
- Develop an environmental policy for the tourism sector
- Produce a detailed report on the current situation
- Identify specific sustainable development recommendations for the destination
- action planning, prioritising and monitoring - Once the Strategic Environmental Assessment has been made, Green Globe can work with the Destination to set environmental improvement priorities and implementation timetables and to research sources of funding.
Sustainability indicators against which all parties can monitor and review their achievements are also introduced. These are established separately for each Destination, but are based on Priority Areas identified in Agenda 21 for the Travel and Tourism Industry.
- training and improving awareness - The local skills base needs to continually improve so that the necessary skills are available to undertake relevant activity during and beyond the period of the project. Green Globe can conduct training programmes to raise awareness of environmental issues to Travel & Tourism industry personnel and other key stakeholders.
This stage can result in consensus and support for the identified action programme, improved skills base within all sectors of the tourism community and identification of new, associated, job opportunities.
- marketing - A key benefit of Green Globe Destinations is to provide the destination with an improved marketing edge, as well as access to a unique marketing opportunity through Green Globe's international exposure and world-wide programmes of activity.
Through regular press and media initiatives, exposure through Green Globe's internet site and publications and further developments through partnerships with industry associates, Green Globe's marketing team are able to assist in the global promotion of the Destination as an area of outstanding environmental quality. This leads to a variety of new promotional opportunities in domestic and international markets.
- achieving Green Globe destination status - Destinations can commit to becoming a formal Green Globe Destination once activity for achieving a programme of sustainable tourism in line with the Priority Areas has been implemented.