Quetta Serena Hotel
- Green Globe Commendation winner 1998
- Green Globe Commendation winner 1999
Back to list
These two objectives are especially important in the Northern Areas where the eco-system balance is extremely fragile.
- Protection of fauna and flora
Serena undertakes that no development affecting fauna and flora should be allowed in the company. Should one of these factors be endangered, we should find a remedy before completing the project and rectify or promote a natural balance that will not only compensate but improve the situation, i.e. should Serena have to cut trees to build or renovate a hotel, we should at least plant an equal number of trees; should we have to disturb the wild life, we should endeavour to move it in a favourable environment and make sure of its successful transfer.
- Energy conservation and usage of natural resources
In this country, electricity, wood, oil and water are scarce commodities and one should do its utmost to conserve them.
- Electricity: Most of the cities experience black out periods because of insufficient supply. Serena should therefore have a policy to systematically study all options to save energy before building a new hotel, or improve the existing systems after their completion. Since most energy conservation devices are expensive, a thorough financial study should be conducted in order to ensure an acceptable payback period, but it must be understood that the expected operation cost-savings could be partially or totally reinvested for a period of five years in an energy saving system.
- As a policy, Serena should be always on the technological forefront when it comes to save energy.
- Wood: In certain areas of Pakistan, forests are being entirely destroyed by uncontrolled wood cutting; we should make all possible efforts to avoid unnecessary usage of wood that would encourage such practice.
- Oil: Not abundantly available in Pakistan, it represents an expensive import and a drain on foreign currency resources. Its usage generally produces pollution in the atmosphere as well as on land. Therefore, Serena should strictly control its consumption of oil for heating purpose or generator usage. When we cannot avoid to use it, we should make every attempt to monitor very closely the pollution factors.
- Water: In most Provinces, water distribution is a problem as there is not enough for all needs. In the Northern Areas, water has to be channelled to every house on a rotation basis. By using extensively this precious commodity, we create an additional problem to the local population. We should take as a rule to ensure that a proper supply to our hotels would not hinder the already difficult situation of the local communities.
- Control of wastes
Hotels are generating enormous amounts of waste, solid, liquid or gas.
It should not be considered enough to be in compliance with the local laws, but we should promote all ideas to reduce significantly the above mentioned wastes. When recycling will become available we shall make use of it (paper in particular).
- Promotion of environmental values in local communities
At the last RIO summit on environment, the Pakistani representative said:
"How do you expect a man sitting on trash to care about the flying over it?"
Although such statement is full of realism, we should at our level promote all the environmental values we believe in, and explain them to all local communities, eventually (whenever financially possible) participate in the elaboration or the financing of a project in favour of the environment. Maybe their should be no trash on which one would sit?
Feel free to visit their website: www.serenahotels.com
Back to list