Lusotur S.A. - Environmental Policy
Back to list
Lusotur is committed to achieving the highest possible standards of quality in all of its activities. At the heart of this commitment is environmental quality. The corporate environmental programme includes the analysis, action and control of corporate activities. By adopting a structural approach to environmental management, Lusotur hopes to achieve sustainable improvements.
In particular, the Environmental Programme will focus on:
Lusotur believes that its associates, clients, suppliers and investors will benefit from this responsible and long-term management approach.
- incorporating environmental considerations into project design and planning;
- the efficient use of resources;
- raising environmental awareness;
- minimising waste and;
- stewardship of the cultural and natural heritage.
With a view to accelerating and expanding our action, an agreement was signed with Green Globe.
Status Report - 1996 and 1997 saw the following action being taken:
- Installation of an additional 35 dustbins in strategic positions around the resort, increasing the total number of collection point to 575 (an increase in capacity of 28,000 litres);
- Treatment of a number of diseased pine wood areas;
- Periodic cleaning of the Marina and installation of a net along the Quarteira riverside in order to prevent the intrusion of waste material into coastal waters;
- Periodic cleaning of beaches (daily in summer months);
- Landscaping of an additional 30,000 m² of land (an increase of 33%), now totalling 120,000 m² of garden areas
- Creation of pedestrian and cycle routes, to promote the relieve of motor traffic;
- Further measures to reduce dependency on motor vehicles to remote traffic from congested areas, for example, pedestrianising areas at the Marina, and future development of park and ride/walk solutions;
- Creation of a tourist train circuit
- Implementation of a project to enhance cultural heritage - archaeological Centre of the Roman Ruins in Cerro da Vila, including the construction of a museum in association with the Portuguese Institute for Architectural and Archaeological Heritage;
- Introduction of recycling systems for various waste products, including glass, paper and batteries (aluminium and plastics in the future - dependant on the municipality's ability to recycle it)
- Abandonment of the use of plastic coffee cups and spoons in company kitchen;
- Placement of bins in offices for paper disposal, and in the kitchen for glass in order to recycle;
- Company wide environmental education of staff;
- Incorporation of environmental audit and action plan for Vilamoura's Marina;
- Use of "ecoboxes" (for the recycle of toner cartridges);
- Environmental impact study for Vilamoura XXI;
- Installation of efficient irrigation networks;
- Installation of sewage collection system on beaches (in development);
- Cleaning and fencing of unbuilt plots and unfinished works;
- Increased stabilisation of the dunes and delimitation of pedestrian access to the beach (in order to prevent destruction of fragile dune vegetation);
- Creation of "Green Points" with selective bins for glass, paper, batteries and green waste;
- Composting of green waste (being studied)
- Environmental awareness campaign: by the marina for sailors and within Vilamoura; with the use of leaflets (Vilamoura: Green Destination), environmental placards stating company policy and practice; outdoor campaign requesting selective waste disposal;
- Environmentally sensitive management of golf courses;
- Development of an environmental seminar with the Algarve Tourist Board and Green Globe;
- Sewage Treatment Plant - functioning on 12 hectares given to the Municipality, for 150,000 inhabitants (receives the sewage of Quarteira, Boliqueime and the rural surroundings in addition to Vilamoura population), with an investment of Exc. 1,000,000,000 - 30% of which paid by Lusotur;
- This Sewage Treatment Plant, operating a 3rd level waste water treatment permits the subsequent utilisation of water for the irrigation of golf courses.
Back to list